Thursday, January 6, 2011

My OneWord2011.

"Warrior"

It seems a bit dramatic.

"Health" seems a little more practical, a little more sensible, and a little more normal.

And up until a few hours before we rang in the New Year, "Health" was going to be my One Word motto for the year.

But while celebrating with my family on New Year's Eve, my dad, sister, and I listened to music in a corner of my parent's house. And as I sat and listened, the songs that compared the Christian life to war began to stir my spirit.

It wasn't the first time that themes of war had begun to tug at me in December. During the last two weeks of the year, I saw the movies, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and "Legend of the Owls." I loved both movies because they held so much symbolism and I had enjoyed pondering what drew me so strongly to the noble heroes of each movie.

Also, during the last week of December, my husband began to read a book that has been sitting on our shelf for over a year - "Battle Ready" by Steve Farrar. Also in that week, I had read some excerpts from my parents copy of "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge in which he often compares the Christian journey to battle.

So, as I sat and listened to these inspiring songs, I realized that all the recent media I had been exposed to was beginning to point to a specific direction.

I casually mentioned this to my dad and he said, "Well, maybe God's trying to show you something."

I smiled and tried to laugh it off. Themes of battles and war was the last direction I desired to take for this upcoming year. Especially after completing a year in which my One Word was "Healing."

However, the more I pondered the stirrings in my heart and the more I willingly opened my heart to asking God if He was leading those stirrings, the more I couldn't get away from the word, "Warrior."

Lord?! Me?? A Warrior?

But I'm a princess!

A gentle, golden-haired, dress-wearing, encourage-the-knight-and-send-him-off-to-battle-with-a-kiss princess!

Lord, You know how much fear I still hold in my heart, don't You? Most of the time, I don't act anything like a fearless warrior.

Are You sure??

I wrestled with these thoughts. Then I began to dwell upon the characteristics of a warrior. As I brainstormed a list of some of the trademarks a warrior is known for, my heart began to understand.

The list grew long but it included trademarks such as:

Courage

Wounds

Strength

Vision

Boldness

Leader.

As the list began to grow, I began to realize, "THIS is what He wants to do in me! This is what He wants to develop me into!"

And when I understood, I was overwhelmed.

And Excited.

This is what I want.




But this is what I am afraid of.



However, I am confident of this, that He did not give me a spirit of fear but one of boldness and a sound mind. I believe that He will finish the work that He has started in me and that He will show how His strength is made perfect in my weakness.



Here we go, 2011! Let's get started on this journey!






To find out what other bloggers are choosing as their word for 2011 click here!

Do YOU have any themes or words that you are inspired to follow after this year?

5 comments:

  1. Heidi, I feel stirred with you as I hear your word! How exciting! I have a leader in my life who challenges us to be warrior princesses! Sounds like a beautiful mix for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,
    What a powerful word and you wrote about it beautifully! You could have written about me as I have health issues too. faith would have been a no brainer for me...so I believe God led me to the word happy for this year. Happy with all he has blessed me with...the good and the not so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying right now. Heidi, I am so excited for you on your one word 2011. You are a child of the king and therefore have a duty to God to be a warrior : ) You're a warrior princess and I can't wait to see what God does to prepare you for the battle that He has set out for you. "Be strong and courageous for the Lord thy God is w/ you!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautifully written post! Powerful word!

    My word: forward

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your word, heidi! so strong and powerful and courageous... just as God sees you!

    ReplyDelete