Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Just What I Needed.

Blame it on my poor night sleep, or my lack of a nutritious breakfast, or a slow day at work that left me with extra time on my hands. Blame it on what you will, but I was unsettled today.

Unpurposed and anxious. Restless and unfocused.

A short workout lifting weights over my lunch break helped my mind a little, but it also left me hungry for food that I hadn’t adequately packed. Therefore, a small Taco Bell trip consumed my afternoon break. However, the consumption of the fast food left me weighed down and further contributed to my unsettledness. Vicious cycle.

I was relieved when 3:30 hit the clock. I was anxious to get home and get some stuff done.

Still, I didn’t know how to give myself direction and motivation to accomplish the multitude of tasks that awaited me at home. I just simply wanted to GET home.

And when I got home and opened the door, before I could even set my bags down, a handsome man wearing a bold, blue shirt and tie that made his eyes sparkle, bounded up the stairs from his office and wrapped me in a welcome home hug and told me I was beautiful.

*Happy and contented sigh……*

The unsettled anxiety began to wash away. I was more than just home. I was where I belonged; where I was wanted.

Throughout the night, fulfillment began to infuse me.

~A 45-minute couch conversation with my husband about each others dreams, goals, and plans.
~A long, quiet hot shower with every smidgen of makeup from the day removed.
~A quiet time with the Lord asking Him to still my heart.
~The separation of dirty laundry and the whirring of the washing machine.
~A goodbye kiss to my husband wishing him good luck on his softball game.
~Giving myself grace for a couple unhealthy choices today and getting back on track tonight with healthy choices instead of waiting until tomorrow.

Quietness.

Restoring order.

Soft jazz music.

Writing.

Space.

These are just the things I needed.


I am glad to have learned from today. And I am glad for the opportunity to go try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment